A manuscript (hand-drawn) map of West Central Florida created by Charles Vignoles showing the limits of the Hackley/Duke of Alagon land grant. The original map is in the collection of the Library of Congress.
In 1905, following the last lawsuit over land ownership the Hendry & Knight Company created this master map of the Garrison (the name given to the former Fort Brooke property) west of Nebraska Avenue. The company also created new land along the southern and southwestern shoreline by dredging sand from the bay. This new land allowed for docks and wharves, and the dredging created a shipping channel - Garrison Channel.
Map of Fort Brooke, dated 1838. Fort Brooke was the headquarters for the Army of the South during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). The fort occupied much of what is now downtown Tampa. In 1847, the fort was reduced in size to allow for the legal development of Tampa. Whiting Street became the northern border of the fort/southern border of Tampa.