SARASOTA, Fla. — Troopers have just arrested a 37-year-old Punta Gorda woman in connection with a deadly wrong-way crash that happened on I-75 just before the holidays in Sarasota.
Florida Highway Patrol's Traffic Homicide Division says it conducted an "exhaustive criminal investigation" into the crash that killed a 21-year-old man from Lauderdale Lakes and seriously injured a 16-year-old girl.
According to FHP, Olivia Hernandez was driving south in the northbound lanes of I-75 near mile marker 194 around 10:40 p.m. on Dec. 14. That's when troopers say she collided head-on with a 2012 Nissan. The crash killed the 21-year-old Nissan driver and injured his teenage passenger.
FHP says a toxicology examination determined Hernandez’s blood-alcohol concentration level was .133.
She was booked on Thursday into the Sarasota County Jail. Hernandez was charged with DUI (manslaughter), DUI (serious bodily injury), and DUI (property damage).
- CVS offering COVID vaccine to Florida teachers under 50
- $600K in COVID-19 precautions: Here's what to expect at this year's Florida Strawberry Festival
- House passes sweeping police reform bill named after George Floyd
- Senate debate on COVID bill, $1,400 checks may start today
- SpaceX's Starship sticks its landing but blows up
- Where to get the COVID-19 vaccine in Florida
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter