The infamous botched invasion known as the Bay of Pigs happened on this day 58 years ago.
On April 17, 1961, the CIA tried to remove Cuban nationalist Fidel Castro from power by planning an invasion of his country with 1,400 Cuban exiles.
The invaders were outnumbered by Castro’s forces and surrendered.
The U.S. detested Castro for his support of communism. Many Cubans supported Castro’s 1959 overthrow of dictatorial President Fulgencio Batista.
What other people are reading right now:
- Fire breaks out at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris
- Maine Marine shot and killed by fellow Marine on South Carolina base
- Family mourning woman and her daughters killed in domestic violence shooting
- USF police lip-sync their way to national TV
- Florida man sprays woman with squirt gun full of his own urine, police say
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.