SEBRING, Fla. — A man with a weapon was shot and killed early Sunday by Highlands County Sheriff's Office deputies.
It happened around 4:49 a.m. Sunday in the area of Bridle Path and Derby Lane, according to a news release.
The sheriff's office says deputies were called to respond to a possible domestic dispute. At some point, 43-year-old Dustin Alexander Nealis was shot and killed.
The two deputies involved in the shooting, plus a trainee deputy were not hurt, according to the sheriff's office.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has taken up the shooting investigation.
“The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is conducting an independent investigation of this incident. We are confident they will do a thorough and complete investigation," Sheriff Paul Blackman said on Facebook.
What other people are reading right now:
- Wall collapse at construction site in Haines City kills worker
- Police caution about 'highly addictive substance': Girl Scout cookies
- 'Baby Yoda' dog looking for a forever home
- Woman pleads guilty to poisoning husband with eye drops
- Police need your help identifying man who broke in, stayed in guest house overnight
- Trump administration proposes rollback of Michelle Obama school lunch guidelines
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower