RIVERVIEW, Fla. — Whoever shot and killed at least two peacocks likely will be charged with a felony.
A neighbor reported the birds dead last week in the area of Windswept Avenue and Tarragon Drive, according to a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office news release.
People who live in the area suspect someone might have been targeting the birds, which are known to roam the area, and shot them with a pellet gun.
A witness reported seeing a black, four-door Ford F-150 with four teenagers riding inside just before finding the dead birds. The truck reportedly had black rims, a busted tail light and a Costa sticker in the back window.
Two teens were in the back, holding pellet guns, the witness reported.
Investigators are working to obtain any surveillance video from residents that might have been captured around the time of the incident. Deputies say someone involved will face felony animal cruelty and criminal mischief charges.
Anyone who might have any information is asked to call the sheriff's office at 813-247-8200.
What other people are reading right now:
- More passengers lifted off Norway cruise ship before towing
- Google 'Florida man' followed by your birthday: What's your story?
- Powerball jackpot to $750 million after no winner Saturday
- Mother of Florida toddler found wandering around park located
- Hallmark Channel needs extras for movie filming in Safety Harbor
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.
Have a news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.