TAMPA, Fla. — People are rappelling down the side of the Hilton hotel downtown, and it's all for a good cause.
It's part of the "Over the Edge" fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay.
More than 50 supporters who have raised a minimum of $1,500 will rappel 17 stories down the side of the hotel. Tampa Mayor Jane Castor kicked off the action at 9 a.m., and it should finish up around 2:30 p.m.
"Over The Edge" is a global fundraiser that supports different non-profits around the world. Since 2008, it has raised more than $100 million for organizations worldwide.
- Tropical Storm Laura could become hurricane despite disorganization; track moves away from Florida
- Tropical Storm Marco gets a little stronger as it nears Cozumel
- Here's where to get sandbags around Tampa Bay
- Plasma might not be as effective at treating COVID-19 as initially thought
- Race and Money: The wage gap between Black families and white families in Tampa Bay
- Coronavirus pandemic could slow disaster crew response time, so they're asking you to be prepared
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter