TAMPA, Fla. — An athletics equipment shed near the football field at Howard W. Blake High School caught fire Saturday evening, prompting several Tampa Fire Rescue crews to respond.
It happened around 8:30 p.m. at the school campus, located at 1701 N. Boulevard across the Hillsborough River from Water Works Park.
Tampa Fire Rescue said a 911 caller reported flames coming from a structure on the east side of campus. Upon arrival, firefighters found a 10-by-20 foot shed fully on fire.
As for what was inside? Outdoor field equipment for the football team and other sports, according to Hillsborough County Public Schools spokesperson Tanya Arja.
Photos shared by Tampa Fire Rescue appear to show the shed to be a total loss.
Athletic storage shed fire
To extinguish the fire more than 500 feet of hose line was put down by several crews. The school building itself was not under threat, fire rescue said.
Joshua Clay, who provided a video of the fire to 10 Tampa Bay, said he was at Armature Works when he saw the flames.
"It sounded like a small explosion, and that's what caught my attention," Clay said. "I turned around and saw (it) was engulfed."
The cause of the fire is not yet known.
No one was hurt.
Angelina Salcedo contributed to this report.
What other people are reading right now:
- Here's a list of Tampa Bay-area summer camps impacted by coronavirus concerns
- Gym owners hopeful, preparing to reopen as part of phase one
- Breaking down Gov. DeSantis' new phase one guidance: What does it mean?
- Nursing homes can't seize stimulus checks for Medicare, FTC says
- Photos taken a year apart show potentially troubling sign in Hawaiian volcano
- Governor sparks outrage after blaming some Floridians for errors on unemployment applications
- Tropical Depression One forms off Florida coast
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter