TAMPA, Fla. — The Champs Sports store on Fowler Avenue caught fire as crowds of people gathered at the University Mall across the street.
Tampa Fire Rescue reported they were escorted into the area by Tampa police because of reports of looting in the area.
Indeed, next door, video showed a crowd of people breaking into an ATM at the SunTrust Bank. Several of them appeared to run off with some of its contents.
One person can be heard yelling, "stimulus package, b--ch."
Sky10 aerial video showed the fire largely was put out after 1:30 a.m., with firefighters dousing the building with water.
What other people are reading right now:
- People set fire to Tampa gas station, loot businesses after hectic protest nearby
- People break glass doors at University Square Mall in attempt to get inside
- Police, demonstrators meet in heated protest near Tampa's Busch Gardens
- Peaceful demonstrators in downtown Tampa march for George Floyd
- History made: NASA, SpaceX launch American astronauts from US soil on Crew Dragon
- Derek Chauvin charged with 3rd-degree murder, manslaughter in death of George Floyd
- Tampa Bay police chiefs respond to the death of George Floyd
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter