TAMPA, Fla. — The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested a teacher who is accused of sexually abusing a teenager he knew was underage.
Zeshaan Naqvi, 31, allegedly traveled to Tampa from New York City to meet with a teenage girl he had been talking to online for about three months.
According to the sheriff's office, Naaqvi picked up the teen from her house and brought her to his hotel room. He later drove the teen back home. After a few hours, investigators say he picked her up from home again and returned to the hotel room, where they engaged in sexual acts.
The teacher was arrested at the hotel on Falkenburg Road in Tampa.
HCSO says he admitted he knew the teen was underage when he was arrested.
"It never ceases to amaze us the lengths predators will go to, to get what they want," Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a statement. "In this case, a middle school history teacher booked a ticket, boarded a plane and traveled across the country to meet with a minor who he had been chatting with for about three months.
"This behavior is deeply disturbing and serves as a grim warning to parents to monitor their child's online activity."
Naqvi is charged with seven counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor and traveling to meet a minor after using computer services to solicit certain illegal acts.
- Bucs vs. Packers: The NFC Championship is Sunday in Green Bay
- Pinellas County: COVID-19 vaccine registration site suffers outage
- Heavy fog blamed in Tampa Bay boating crash that injured 7 people
- Legendary broadcaster Larry King dies at 87
- What you should and shouldn't do after getting your COVID-19 vaccine
- Florida surgeon general orders vaccine providers to ensure recipients live in the state
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter