PLANT CITY, Fla. — Update: Police told 10News reporter Liz Burch the person who was taken down by an officer shot a driver during an attempted carjacking.
That driver called 911, and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office received several 911 calls.
Plant City Police say the man ran away from the carjacking scene and fired at officers who were setting up a perimeter to search for him.
The officer returned fire and shot him at least one time with a department-issued rifle.
Original story below:
Police and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office are investigating an officer-involved shooting in Plant City.
Plant City police say officers responded to an area near Kilgore Road and James L. Reman Parkway after getting reports of someone waving a gun at cars. Police said they saw the person do this and then take off.
The sheriff's office also responded along with a law enforcement helicopter. Police say the person then began firing shots at officers and possibly the helicopter.
Police say neither the officers nor the helicopter was hit.
A Plant City officer shot the person, who was taken to a local hospital, police say. That person's condition is unknown.
This is a developing story. Stay with 10News for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Child's car sign signaling for help was actually a prank, troopers say
- Scientists created a microscopic robot -- and it's alive
- Lamb cam returns to TECO solar fields in Apollo Beach
- Paralyzed man finishes marathon, beats world record using high-tech exoskeleton
- House votes Wednesday to send impeachment articles against President Trump to the Senate
- Florida woman accused of trying to make a bomb inside Walmart
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower