HUDSON, Fla. — A loaded gun in a teacher's purse was discovered during a search of Fivay High School as deputies investigated a threat that ended up being false.
Deputies responded Tuesday afternoon to the school after it received a report of the possible threat, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. A student later admitted he made up the threat.
The unidentified student was arrested and faces a charge of disrupting a school function and filing a false report to law enforcement.
But during another search of the school after classes let out, a loaded gun was found in a teacher's purse that was kept in a filing cabinet, the sheriff's office said. She was arrested and faces a charge of having a gun on campus.
She reportedly said she forgot the gun was in her purse.
The school will have an increased law presence on the school campus Wednesday.
What other people are reading right now:
- What caused the crash that killed Kobe? Photos show how hard it could be to find out
- 7.7 magnitude earthquake strikes the Caribbean, reportedly felt in Miami
- President Trump's Middle East peace plan calls for Palestinian state, settlement freeze
- 'Star Voyagers' | Remembering the astronauts killed in the Challenger space shuttle explosion
- Sheriffs: Group broke into homes, stole $1M in stuff, including Dali artwork and a Jimi Hendrix guitar
- FDA warns Purell to stop claiming its hand sanitizers can stop the flu, Ebola
- The Tampa Bay 55 podcast is here. Listen to the first episode!
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower