CLEARWATER, Fla. — Clearwater police arrested a man alleged to have made violent threats against political leaders, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Richard Szala, 61, was charged Nov. 4 with a false report concerning the use of a firearm in a violent manner, according to a Clearwater Police Department news release.
The department says its detectives learned Szala left comments on YouTube videos threatening to kill supporters of President Donald Trump, his neighbor and other Republican politicians.
That included DeSantis, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Sens. Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, and others, police said.
Szala's IP address was traced to his Clearwater home, police said. In 1989, he reportedly had been charged with harassment by phone in Illinois.
What other people are reading right now:
- Find live 2020 election results
- What to expect on election night 2020: 3 ways this year could be different
- Crunching Florida’s early vote turnout: What does it reveal heading into Election Day?
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
- Live updates: 2020 Election races around the country
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter