CLEARWATER, Fla. — A man faces charges of DUI manslaughter and vehicular homicide in a deadly crash late Saturday on the Courtney Campbell Causeway, police said.
It happened around 11:22 p.m., according to a Clearwater Police Department news release.
Police say 57-year-old Wilbur French was heading west and made a left turn into a path of a motorcycle, driven by 29-year-old Edward Jimenez. There were cones in place to prevent people from making turns at that point on the causeway, according to officers.
Jimenez died in the crash.
French was taken to an area hospital as he showed signs of impairment, police said. He reportedly admitted to smoking crack cocaine earlier in the day, and it later was learned he had surgery Saturday and left the medical facility against the advice of doctors, according to the department.
French had been given narcotics after surgery, as well, police said.
The eastbound lanes heading to Tampa were closed for several hours starting at Bayshore Boulevard. They have since reopened to traffic.
What other people are reading right now:
- Old SpaceX capsule delivers new crew to space station
- Florida to resume use of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine Sunday at FEMA sites
- FHP: Grandfather, 2-week-old baby ejected from car in deadly Gandy Boulevard crash
- Florida police officers charged with issuing dozens of bogus citations
- Your guide to the 2021 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter