OLDSMAR, Fla. — Deputies are trying to figure out what led up to a suspected murder-suicide in Pinellas County.
They responded just before 1 p.m. Monday to a home on Huntleigh Court in Oldsmar after someone called about hearing a gunshot earlier in the morning, the sheriff's office said.
Shawna Katz, 41, was found dead from a gunshot wound. Detectives say they believe she was shot by her husband, 53-year-old John Katz, before he took his own life.
The sheriff's office says an investigation is ongoing.
If you or someone you know is going through a tough time, there is help. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 and offers free and confidential support. It can be reached at 1-800-799-7233.
In addition, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255.
What other people are reading right now:
- Gov. DeSantis: Local governments that 'defund' law enforcement could lose state funding
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg to lie in repose at Supreme Court, lie in state at US Capitol
- Trump pledges woman for Supreme Court, pushes Senat to move on pick
- An inmate reportedly tried to escape through the ceiling. Gravity had other plans.
- 4-year-old battling cancerous brain tumor gets his puppy wish granted
- NHC watching disturbance over southeast Florida
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter