ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Firefighters working to put out a grass fire Wednesday evening near the Sunshine Skyway Bridge came across a body.
Police were called around 8 p.m. to a wooded area near the bridge's north side rest area, according to a St. Petersburg Police Department news release.
The body was found after the fire was put out.
It's expected investigators will collect evidence into the early morning hours in an effort to figure out what happened.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'Never seen or heard from...again': Tampa Bay mother of 3 still missing a year later
- Alligator attacks woman walking dog in Palm Harbor
- US likely to miss goal of 70% partially vaccinated by July 4
- Coughing at a Pinellas County beach? Red tide could be why
- 4-year-old shoots 6-year-old in Tampa, police say
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter