TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. — Editor's note: The photo attached to this story is from the 114th annual Epiphany celebration last year.
Today, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral celebrated the 115th Epiphany celebration in Tarpon Springs. The annual event, that usually gathers crowds of spectators, saw some major changes because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Even though we couldn't be there in person, we can still enjoy videos of the celebration, that was streamed live throughout the day.
A maximum of 250 people were allowed inside the church for the celebration and everyone inside was required to wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Watch the Feast of Theophany:
Additionally, the procession to the blessing of the bayou and casting of the cross were scaled down to only include the divers, dignitaries and the clergy.
Watch the blessing of Spring Bayou and casting of the cross:
Only two family members of each diver were allowed to view the event in a separate viewing area.
While this year's event still honored tradition, the Cathedral did have to forego its Glendi Celebration.
Here is a list of other changes made this year:
- All 55 divers between the ages of 16-18 dove for the cross
- The clergy and divers walked to Spring Bayou at the normal traditional time and used limited streets with police officers present to allow safe travel along Pinellas Avenue and Spring Boulevard
- Parishioners of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral were permitted to attend the blessing at Spring Bayou with the appropriate pass provided in advance
- Your COVID-19 vaccine questions, answered: Do I need to be a Florida resident?
- How to watch Tarpon Springs annual Epiphany Celebration this year
- Gov. Ron DeSantis and CNN reporter get into heated exchange over state's vaccine rollout
- How to claim your missing $1,200 stimulus check
- How to watch Alex Trebek's final 'Jeopardy!' episodes
- County-by-county COVID-19 vaccine information for Tampa Bay seniors
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter