SARASOTA, Fla. — A 24-year-old motorcyclist died in a crash with a school bus Wednesday afternoon.
It happened around 2:30 p.m. at the intersection of Tuttle Avenue and 22nd Street, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Troopers say the motorcyclist was speeding north on Tuttle Avenue and crashed into the right rear corner of the bus as it made a turn. The rider was not able to slow down in time, the FHP said.
The motorcyclist, who has not yet been identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There were 27 high school students on board the bus. They were not hurt nor was the 73-year-old driver, troopers said.
Drivers are asked to avoid the area while Sarasota County deputies and the Florida Highway Patrol investigate the crash.
- WATCH: Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady tosses Vince Lombardi Trophy to another boat during celebratory parade
- It’s about to (hopefully) get easier to get a COVID vaccine at a pharmacy near you
- Democrats call Trump 'inciter in chief' of Capitol attack
- Trump's 2nd impeachment trial: How long will it take?
- 50 Cent's Super Bowl party costs St. Petersburg company its lease at Albert Whitted Airport
- Suspected cyber attack on Oldsmar water plant prompts security review
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter