SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. — Editor's Note: This story has been updated.
Americans will never forget the terror attacks that took place on September 11, 2001.
Nineteen years later, most still remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard about the tragedy.
Then-President George W. Bush was visiting Emma E. Booker Elementary School in Sarasota County. He was participating in a reading demonstration when the second plane hit the World Trade Center.
Our camera crews caught the moment a secret service agent whispered in the president’s ear to inform him of the attacks.
Today 10 Tampa Bay talked virtually with a teacher and student who were at Booker Elementary when this all unfolded. Hear from them Friday at 6 p.m. on 10 Tampa Bay.
What other people are reading right now:
- Granville Ritchie sentenced to death for murder of 9-year-old Felecia Williams
- Florida bars allowed to reopen at half-capacity starting Monday
- 19 years later: Remembering Sept. 11 through unforgettable photos
- CDC: People who tested positive for COVID-19 twice as likely to report dining at restaurants than those who test negative
- 12-year-old accused of bringing three guns to school, mom tells deputies he recently shot, killed family dog
- She went to a Tampa hospital for surgery. Her family says she left with a deadly infection. She's not alone.
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter