SARASOTA, Fla. — A teen was killed and three others were hurt when their car crashed, went airborne and overturned, troopers said.
It happened around 11:14 p.m. Friday on University Parkway.
The car, driven by a 17-year-old boy from Apopka, Florida, was heading east when the teen somehow lost control and drove off the road, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Troopers say the car spun around, crashed into a concrete culvert and became airborne. In the air, it hit a utility pole and overturned before coming to a rest at University and Town Center parkways.
The front passenger, a 16-year-old Sarasota boy, was killed. A 15-year-old and 16-year-old in the backseat, both males who troopers say were not wearing seat belts, were thrown from the car.
The backseat teenagers and the driver were seriously hurt.
An investigation is ongoing.
What other people are reading right now:
- Deputies: Jealous rage leads Florida man to set woman on fire
- Grassroots group addresses root causes of systemic violence, disparities in St. Pete
- State Senate committee to review Florida's response to the pandemic
- Florida mother sues Legoland, says water park humiliated her son
- Lawyer: Man in coma, parents hospitalized after home explosion in Manatee County
- Here's where to see Christmas lights around Tampa Bay
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter