ST. PETERSBURG, Fla — A driver that lost control of his car on Interstate 275 caused a four-car crash that ended with a trooper conducting traffic enforcement being injured, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
FHP says 29-year-old Emanuel Cortez Ramsey was driving northbound on I-275 near the 54th Avenue North entrance ramp when he lost control of his car.
The car traveled from the left lane where it hit the back of a car driving in the center lane and caused it to spin out and overturn several times, according to troopers.
Ramsey's car continued into the right lane where it hit the left side of a pickup truck that also overturned onto the outside shoulder, according to a press release.
While the pickup truck rolled away from the roadway FHP says it hit a light pole and the trooper working in the area.
FHP reports one of the drivers and the trooper were both taken to the hospital after a crash Wednesday afternoon. All drivers involved in the accident suffered minor injuries, according to a press release.
Ramsey was arrested on multiple charges including DUI for drugs, no valid driver's license, misdemeanor possession of cannabis and careless driving.
All lanes reopened to traffic at 5:45 p.m.
What other people are reading right now:
- Public health experts concerned about variants spreading through unvaccinated people
- Dream Chaser spaceplane approved for shuttle-type landing at Kennedy Space Center in 2022
- 60 years since 1st American in space: Tourists lining up
- Parents express excitement over virus shots for children
- USF Health virologist goes over what fully vaccinated people should still avoid
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter