Breaking News
More () »

Man electrocuted trying to use a metal pole to remove bird from power line

Deputies say he got a 20-foot pole and tried to remove the bird.
Credit: AP
FILE - In this Oct. 16, 2017 file photo, power lines lay broken after the passage of Hurricane Maria in Dorado, Puerto Rico. Federal officials said on Monday, Jan. 8 2018, that efforts to fully restore power to Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria should get a boost with more work crews and more equipment in upcoming weeks. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa, File)

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Officials say a man who kept pigeons was electrocuted when he used a metal pole to remove one of his birds from a power line.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says 36-year-old Elian Garcia Rivera was in his backyard Saturday afternoon when he spotted one of his pigeons on a power line running above.

They say he got a 20-foot pole and tried to remove the bird, but he touched the power line and was electrocuted.

According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, birds can safely sit on wires because they aren't grounded — so the electricity in the power line stays put. People get electrocuted when they touch a power line because they are on the ground, causing the electricity to flow through them.

What other people are reading right now:

►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.

Have a news tip? Email desk@wtsp.com, or visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.

Before You Leave, Check This Out