PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — Days after arriving at a Dominican Republic resort, dozens of Jimmy Buffett fan club members fell seriously ill, Oklahoma News 4 reported.
Members of the Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association were staying at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao in Punta Cana in April, KFOR reported. There were 114 people on the trip and 47 reported symptoms. Some said they couldn't even leave their rooms.
Dana Flowers, a member of the fan club and a travel agent, told KFOR she "lost 14 pounds during that time and was really sick."
WKMG in Orlando said the club was in the Dominican Republic the same month that Robert Bell Wallace, 67, was staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. Wallace got ill and died on April 14.
Since March, more than 60 people have gotten sick while visiting the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana.
Travel experts said if you're planning a trip to the Dominican Republic, make sure to ask these questions:
What chemicals are used to clean rooms? How often are the minibars inspected? How does the staff ensure the drink labels match what's inside?
What other people are reading right now:
- Reynolds Wrap will pay you to travel the country and eat BBQ ribs
- Photo of former Marine and his wife goes viral: 'America just fell in love'
- Woman accused of using a stake to poke at, stomp on a sea turtle nest
- Retired Green Beret and combat-wounded amputee serves up 80,000 hot meals across the US
- President Trump to host '45 Fest' tailgate party before Orlando rally
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.