The U.S. Representative for the Space Coast, Ron DeSantis, has won the Republican nomination in the race to be Florida’s next governor.
The 39-year-old decorated Iraq War veteran has been endorsed by President Donald Trump and is a regular contributor on Fox News.
DeSantis has pushed for lower taxes, less government bureaucracy, school choice and infrastructure improvements across the state.
He opposes offshore drilling in Florida.
The president tweeted his congratulations to De Santis.
"Such a fantastic win for Ron DeSantis and the people of the Great State of Florida. Ron will be a fantastic Governor. On to November!"
Such a fantastic win for Ron DeSantis and the people of the Great State of Florida. Ron will be a fantastic Governor. On to November!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 29, 2018
The last four polls showed DeSantis ahead of his fellow candidate, Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, by 2-20 percentage points. The most recent poll closed the gap between them, but DeSantis was ahead with 40 percent surveyed saying they’d vote for him.
DeSantis faces off against Democratic nominee Andrew Gillum in the Nov. 6 general election.
Where does Ron DeSantis stand on the issues?
1) Over the last eight years, per-pupil spending on public education has not kept up with inflation. Meanwhile, public spending on charter and private schools has grown. What, if anything, would you have done differently?
2) When it comes to energy, which of the following should Florida be looking to expand: fracking, solar power, and offshore drilling? Why?
3) How available should marijuana be to Floridians?
What, if any, changes to Florida gun laws would you like to see?
5) Should Florida make texting behind the wheel a primary offense? Should it go further and mandate the use of hands-free devices only?
6) Other than roads, what other projects, if any, would you use transportation tax dollars to fund?
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10 News app now.