DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — A child drowned at a wave pool Saturday in Daytona Beach, according to WKMG-TV.
The TV station reports the 5-year-old was swimming with his family at Daytona Lagoon. Lifeguards gave the boy CPR just before 1 p.m. and then he was rushed to the hospital.
Reports from WKMG said he wasn’t wearing a lifejacket because he was in an area where they aren’t required.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family right now,” said Tyler Currie, general manager of Daytona Lagoon, to the TV station. “This is a tragedy that leaves us all with heavy hearts.
"Unfortunately, he did not have a life jacket on. We require smaller children [to wear one], and he was right around the area where he wasn't required."
WKMG reports the park did not close after the drowning, but the park plans to conduct its own review.
What other people are reading right now:
- Multiple deaths, 1 person in custody after shooting at Texas mall
- Nicole Nachtman found guilty of murdering her stepfather and mother
- One year later: Woman to stand trial for allegedly leaving her daughter to drown in river
- Worker scratching his crotch led to restaurant's temporary closure, health inspectors say
- Guests and employees frustrated after parking lot floods at the Vinoy Resort
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.