ORLANDO, Fla. — A Florida grandmother is upset after her 6-year-old granddaughter was handcuffed and arrested for throwing some sort of tantrum.
WKMG-TV reports Meralyn Kirkland got a call Thursday that a school resource officer at Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy arrested 6-year-old Kaia Rolle.
The grandmother said Rolle was acting out in class due to a side effect of a lack of sleep from a medical condition. After being sent to the office, Kirkland claims a staff member grabbed the girl's wrists to calm her down -- and that's when she lashed out.
"She has a medical condition that we are working on getting resolved, and he says, 'What medical condition?' 'She has a sleep disorder, sleep apnea,' and he says, 'Well, I have sleep apnea, and I don't behave like that,'" Kirkland told WKMG.
Rolle was taken to a juvenile center on a battery charge.
The Orlando Police Department told the station Rolle was one of two children Officer Dennis Turner arrested that day; the other was also 6 years old. Turner reportedly didn't seek approval from his watch commander before arresting anyone under the age of 12, per department policy.
Police say an internal investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Editor's note: An earlier version of this story said the other child was 8 years old. Police have since corrected their earlier comments and said both children were 6.
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman arrested after video shows her kick dog, pull it off the ground by the leash
- You have just a year left to get a gold star on your driver's license
- Health inspection leaves KFC customers queasy
- Woman almost loses arm from flesh-eating bacteria contracted at nail salon
- 'That was a very devastating time': Wife of missing Jacksonville firefighter opens up about husband, search to find him
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter