ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Oh, Tropicana Field.
The Tampa Bay Rays couldn't quite put the Minnesota Twins away Friday night, even with the help of the Trop itself.
As Deadspin first noted, Minnesota third baseman Miguel Sano hit a ball high and deep into left field. A home run it was not: The replay showed the ball hit a speaker on the ceiling, down to the floor and into the glove of Rays infielder Willy Adames.
Twins broadcaster Bert Blyleven was not pleased. "Blow up this place," he said just before a commercial break.
And it's not the first time this happened to poor Sano. Deadspin found one a ball hit at the Trop in 2016 hit the ceiling and caught by Evan Longoria.
What other people are reading right now:
- National Hurricane Center monitoring tropical disturbance in the Gulf
- Police: Motorcyclist with concealed carry permit shoots man who confronted him
- 11-foot gator bursts through windows, into kitchen of Clearwater home
- Child's remains found in search for Maleah Davis
- 'Most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach' | 12 dead after Municipal Center shooting