ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Yanni Gourde scored 2:50 into overtime to give the Tampa Bay Lightning a 3-2 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes in a critical matchup between Central Division contenders.
Alex Killorn and Brayden Point also scored for the Lightning. Andrei Vasilevskiy finished with 25 saves. Andrei Svechnikov and Brady Skjei scored for Carolina, which has only one regulation loss in the past eight games. Petr Mrazek stopped 33 shots.
The Lightning remain undefeated at home against the Hurricanes, improving to 3-0. The team is 4-2-1 overall against the Canes this season.
Carolina and Florida are tied for the Central Division lead with 63 points, though the Hurricanes have two games in hand. The defending Stanley Cup champion Lightning is one point behind the co-leaders.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
What other people are reading right now:
- Selmon Extension opens to traffic after years of construction
- Tampa Bay catches a break in the rain, but more is on the way Tuesday
- NASA shares images of first controlled flight on Mars
- 'You are going to have to shoot me' | Man dead following officer-involved shooting in Winter Haven
- What are the possible outcomes in the Derek Chauvin trial?
- FedEx donates $1 million to victims, survivors of FedEx mass shooting
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter