LAKELAND, Fla — To help bring more resilient infrastructure to the Sunshine State, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday that more than $150 million is being awarded to Florida communities.
Among them is a project in Lakeland that is getting the "big enchilada" of the funding with $42.9 million awarded for a multi-component project in partnership with Bonnet Springs Park.
According to the governor, the funding is part of long-term infrastructure money after storms like Hurricane Irma.
“We’re going to have a steady stream of money to be able to deal with resiliency and different infrastructure needs," he said.
The City of Lakeland in partnership with Bonnet Springs Park applied for the funding to be a part of a larger $110 million publicly and privately funded effort.
This project will provide social benefits to a community that sits in a county with one of the nation’s highest suburban poverty rates, according to the governor.
He says the project will focus on mitigation efforts, add flood storage capacity to the drainage base and make improvements to stormwater infrastructure and watershed resilience.
“We think that this mitigation’s important. It’s important for safety/security, it’s important for food/water shelter, transportation, also combatting hazardous materials," DeSantis said.
You can learn more about the state's "Rebuild Florida" program on the DEO's website.
What other people are reading right now:
- Police: 8 killed in Indianapolis FedEx building shooting, others being treated at hospitals
- Baby toys at Target, Walmart recalled for potential choking hazards
- Rays propose 'world class' multi-sport stadium in St. Pete for Rays and Rowdies
- Florida 'anti-riot' bill headed to Gov. DeSantis' desk after being passed by the Senate
- $235 million: Pasco County man is youngest player in Florida lottery history to win Powerball jackpot
- Did you lose your vaccine card? Here's what to do next
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter