TAMPA, Fla. — Happy anniversary, Tampa International Airport!
On this day, 50 years ago, TPA's new terminal complex had its grand opening and welcomed its first travelers. Now it's consistently ranked as one of the best airports in the country.
"This building has been the source of countless special memories," Tampa International Airport CEO Joe Lopano said. "I'm proud to say that after all these years, we're better and stronger than ever and it's all because of our incredible team and the support of our passengers and community."
To celebrate 50 years of flying, crews have set up selfie stations around the airport. You'll also find some treats and giveaways going on.
According to the airport, every 50th traveler going down the escalator, exiting the shuttles, and stopping at its other key touchpoints will be giveaway winners on April 15.
There will also be anniversary decorations and videos playing throughout the main terminal.
But for the grand sweepstakes, you don't have to visit TPA today to win. You have until 10 a.m. Thursday to enter online for the chance to win one of the prizes listed below:
- $1,000 to spend at TPA restaurants and shops
- Exclusive airfield tour for you and a friend
- TPA swag basket
- TPA swag basket
- TPA model plane
What other people are reading right now:
- This is where researchers forecast the polluted Piney Point water will flow in Tampa Bay
- Kim Potter, the officer who shot and killed Daunte Wright, to be charged with manslaughter
- These are the most common sharks found in the waters of Tampa Bay
- FDA to propose limits for arsenic and lead in baby food
- Did you lose your vaccine card? Here's what to do next
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter