TAMPA, Fla. — If you've ever gone through curbside drop-off at Tampa International Airport during peak hours, you know it can be a challenge to drop off your friends and family off safely. And if you travel with carry-on luggage only, the frustration to get through the drop-off area and to your gate can be even more frustrating.
For passengers who don’t have to check luggage, TPA plans to add 16 express curbside lanes.
The express lanes will be built between the current curbside lanes and the long-term parking garage.
The expansion will start on the blue side of the main terminal, which is expected to be completed by 2022. The red side will be completed “a couple years after that,” said Joe Lopano, CEO of Tampa International Airport.
The new express lanes are specifically for passengers without checked luggage.
“We do know that the majority of our passengers travel without checking in a bag,” said Lopano.
The current curbside lanes will remain open during construction. Airport officials are hoping to minimize any inconvenience for travelers.
What other people are reading right now:
- Gulf of Mexico disturbance has 80-percent chance of developing, likely to move west
- He called police on black women at swimming pool. Now he’s facing criminal charges
- 16-foot Burmese python found nesting under home in the Florida Everglades
- Man says he was kicked off Busch Gardens ride because he looked too old
- Flesh-eating bacteria suspected in Florida woman
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.