TAMPA, Fla. — Making a storm plan for your pets ahead of hurricane season is critical.
Before going over your checklist, here are some things you should consider taking care of first:
- Call your vet and get a copy of records showing your dog or cat is up-to-date on all of its vaccines.
- Update the microchip information for your pet with your most current contact information.
- Take a current photo and write out defining features.
- Keep those documents together and put them in your hurricane kit.
- Label your kit with pet's name and your contact information.
- Documents (Rabies certificate, microchip information, medical records, license)
- Food for a week
- Water for a week
- Collar and leash
- If you evacuate to a storm shelter, you will need a pet carrier.
Pet-friendly storm shelters:
Lecanto Primary School 3790 W Educational Path, Lecanto, FL 34461
D.S. Parrott Middle School 19220 Youth Drive, Brooksville, 34601
Barrington Middle School 5925 Village Center Dr., Lithia
Burnett Middle School 1010 N. Kingsway Rd., Seffner
Greco Middle School 6925 E. Fowler Ave., Temple Terrace
Shields Middle School 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin
Smith Middle School 14303 Citrus Pointe Dr., Tampa
Turkey Creek Middle School 5005 S. Turkey Creek Rd., Plant City
Turner/Bartels K-8, 9190 Imperial Oak Blvd., Tampa
Wharton High School 20150 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa
Fasano Regional Shelter 11611 Denton Ave, Hudson, FL 34667
Wesley Chapel High School 30651 Wells Rd, Wesley Chapel, FL 33545
Wiregrass ranch High School 2909 Mansfield Blvd, Wesley Chapel, FL 33543
Palm Harbor University High School 1900 Omaha St., Palm Harbor
Largo High School 410 Missouri Ave. N., Largo
Gibbs High School 850 34th St. S., St. Petersburg
Lake Region High School 1995 Thunder Rd, Eagle Lake, FL 33839
Haines City High School 2800 Hornet Dr, Haines City, FL 33844
Tenoroc High School 4905 Saddle Creek Rd, Lakeland, FL 33801
Manatee High School 902 33rd St Ct W, Bradenton, FL 34205
Braden River High School 6545 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34203
Mills Elementary School 7200 69th St E, Palmetto, FL 34221
All of the Sarasota County Evacuation Centers are pet-friendly.
Call ahead if you plan to evacuate out-of-town. Hotels do not have to accept your pet during an emergency evacuation, but often they will make exceptions.