LONGBOAT KEY, Fla. — Charles Richardson attended a conference and heard a message that changed his plans. A speaker there challenged the listeners to do something that defined their year.
Running across the state of Florida popped into Richardson’s mind.
“Running around the neighborhood, that’s something that a lot of people do. Running across the state, that’s the very select few,” he said. “When I speak to people about it, they’re all ears for it.”
The idea presents a physical challenge. He’ll leave from Daytona Beach on December 17 and finish at Honeymoon Island State Park on December 23. In all, the route takes him through five different state springs and covers 204 miles.
“Seven marathons in seven days,” the 19-year-old says.
He's calling his journey 7 in 7. His reasoning is more than just fitness.
“I noticed on one of my runs that I noticed 45 pieces of trash on a five-mile run and I thought, ‘That’s perfect’”, he explained. “I’ll run across Florida and make it about environmental conservation.”
Sustainability has become an important cause for Charles. The avid runner will offer video updates on social media at each stop along his journey. He’s willing to do anything to get the word out about keeping Florida clean.
Even run seven marathons in seven days.
“If they get anything from it, I want it to be one of two things: be fit or be sustainable.”
See his full running route here.
RELATED: You can watch other stories from the 10News On the Road series here:
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida UPS driver accused of stealing more than $1K worth of packages
- Banana draped with duct tape sells for $150,000 at Florida art show
- Nancy Pelosi OKs drafting impeachment articles against President Trump
- $5 million reward offered in FBI search for 'most wanted terrorist'
- Pasco Co. man accused of attacking woman with hatchet and hammer in meth-fueled rage
- 12 Christmas light displays to see around Tampa Bay this holiday season
FREE 10NEWS APP: