TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. — K-9 Dobies, also known as “Erni”, has been a good boy. That’s why the Tarpon Spring Police Department described his last day at the office as bittersweet.
K-9 Dobies has been with the department for seven years and has won a lot of awards, including 1st Place Top Dog Award with the United States Police Canine Association in 2016. He has also been recognized for room searching and car searching abilities.
The department said in a post on Facebook, “We are thankful for his service and wish K9 Dobies the best in his retirement, but we will greatly miss him....although he has promised to come back and visit often. After all, he will still be a local member of our city, because he will remain under the care of Ofc. Nguyen. K-9 CK has some big paws to fill but will do his best to carry on the torch.”
Erni also had a birthday Wednesday and received a cake, toys and tons of treats on his last day of work.
RELATED: K-9 officer dies after wreck on I-75
What other people are reading right now:
- Accused carjackers shot, 1 killed by deputies after running over Plant City officer
- 1 person dies, children taken to hospital after truck hits school bus
- Another earthquake hits Puerto Rico
- Impeachment trial managers include representative from Florida
- 'Rip little one': Southwest Florida Eagle Cam confirms baby bald eagle died
- SpaceX to intentionally destroy a rocket to test Crew Dragon abort system
- Universal's Super Nintendo World promises to put you 'inside' video games
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower