HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — A 6-year-old girl is now the youngest person to die from COVID-19 complications in Florida, according to the latest report from the Florida Department of Health.
The agency frequently updates a line list of coronavirus-related deaths from around the state, and on Friday the list showed the 6-year-old girl from Hillsborough County died recently. Her death was reported by the state on Aug. 17.
The report states it's not known if her case was travel-related nor if she had any contact with a known positive case of COVID-19.
There have now been eight children ages 17 and younger who have died from coronavirus complications since the pandemic began.
The previous youngest case reported was a 9-year-old girl from Putnam County who died on July 17.
In the Tampa Bay area, there have also been two 17-year-olds who died after contracting COVID-19 – one in Manatee County and another in Pasco County.
Statewide, 10,304 people have died after testing positive for coronavirus since March. In Florida, 47,489 children 17 and younger have tested positive for COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
- Tropical Depression 13 strengthens to Tropical Storm Laura
- Tropical Depression 13's forecast cone includes Tampa Bay
- Harvard University study shows Florida working its way out of the 'danger zone' as COVID-19 infection rate declines
- Florida has not yet applied for additional unemployment funding
- Joe Biden seeks Democratic national unity in convention finale
- Community, city leaders clash over how to restore destroyed Black cemetery
- Man accused of breaking into Tampa-area home of WWE wrestler to be held without bond
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter