ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Florida will not renew its contract with the company behind the SunPass tolling system takeover disaster that has now caused more than a year's worth of problems, an FDOT spokesperson confirmed Wednesday to 10News.
In an interview earlier in the day, Transportation Secretary Kevin Thibault told the Tampa Bay Times the state would instead re-bid the second half of Conduent's 14-year agreement.
On Tuesday, 10News reported on continued SunPass headaches at Tampa International Airport.
As 10Investigates has previously exposed, the state chose not to run its old system in parallel with the new system that was launched in June 2018. That meant when the new system didn't work properly, there wasn't a backup.
That led to millions of backed-up toll transactions and an inspector general investigation. The Florida Department of Transporation has already imposed the maximum penalties, about $8.3 million, against Conduent for the tolling system meltdown.
Related: Timeline: Florida's SunPass problems
What other people are reading right now:
- Tropical disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico likely to strengthen to a depression
- He called police on black women at swimming pool. Now he’s facing criminal charges
- Man says he was kicked off Busch Gardens ride because he looked too old
- Wanted man passes gas so loudly it reveals his hiding spot to police
- Woman caught urinating into ice cream bucket, spitting into ice cream at shop, police say
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.