MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. — A mother has been charged with homicide years after her 4-year-old daughter died.
Dominique Brewer was the only person in the house when emergency crews found Kelis Rucker dead on Aug. 14, 2009 in Manatee County. Investigators say Brewer gave "several inconsistent statements" during the initial interviews and also admitted to using drugs before authorities arrived.
Detectives canvassed the area, got a search warrant for the home and even did a re-enactment of the situation. An autopsy revealed asphyxiation as the official cause of death, and investigators say Brewer gave "no viable explanation" for the child's injuries.
After all that, she was not arrested. And, the case was sent to the State Attorney's Office.
In 2017, detectives began to re-examine the case and met with prosecutors. Then, in June 2019, the decision was made to charge Brewer with homicide.
Detectives re-interviewed and arrested her on Monday.
What other people are reading right now:
- New Jersey man found dead in the Dominican Republic; 9th American tourist to die in country
- President Trump threatens to deport millions beginning next week
- Disney World raises annual prices again ahead of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening
- Black bear shot and killed after becoming too friendly with humans
- Toddler drowns when grandfather leaves to use the bathroom: deputies
- Jimmy Buffett fan club members reportedly get sick at Dominican Republic resort
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.