ORLANDO, Fla. — If you drive up I-4 to Orlando, you can't miss the wheel at ICON Park. Now, two brand new attractions are coming along that not only will be seen from miles away but will bring in thrill-seekers from all over.
ICON Park announced plans to add the world's tallest slingshot and drop tower in the summer of 2021. This adds to the growing park that opened in 2015 on Orlando's famed International Drive.
The ICON Park Slingshot will act like a volcanic eruption, launching riders 450 feet up at 100 miles per hour. It will be among the fastest slingshots in the world (the Daytona Slingshot, located 50 miles up I-4, claims to be the fastest).
The 430-foot ICON Park Drop Tower will take people 40 stories above the ground before plummeting at 75 miles per hour. To give you an idea of the jolt riders will feel, Disney's Tower of Terror drops riders 130 feet at a mere 39 MPH.
ICON Park is not just about thrill rides. It also features Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, SEA LIFE Aquarium, an arcade and a row of restaurants. It was closed in March due to COVID-19 but reopened in June.
- Pinellas County long-term care facility prepares for COVID-19 vaccines
- Tampa General Hospital nurse among first in Florida to get COVID-19 vaccine
- President-elect Biden addresses nation after Electoral College solidifies victory
- White House task force recommends stricter virus measures for Florida
- COVID-19 vaccine shipments begin in historic US effort
- Here's where to see Christmas lights around Tampa Bay
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter