HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — A Florida man stole a downed power pole and drove around with it on the roof of his car in Hillsborough County, authorities say.
Troopers say the driver loaded the large pole onto his small sedan on westbound Interstate 4 near milepost 9. He then drove it to a recycling facility on Harney Road but was turned away for not having the proper paperwork for the pole, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Just after 11 a.m. Monday, authorities spotted the 1997 Toyota at North 50th Street near State Road 60. FHP says troopers arrested 71-year-old Douglas Allen Hatley of Lakeland. They also recovered the utility pole.
Hatley was charged with grand theft and taken to the Hillsborough County Jail.
- Florida COVID-19 cases reach highest single-day increase since mid-July
- Liftoff! NASA, SpaceX successfully launch Crew 1 mission from Florida
- Brothers arrested in connection to body found in Polk County orange grove
- Thousands of invasive pythons removed from Florida Everglades
- Gunman wanted after mother of 2 gets shot in St. Pete, police say
- Hurricane Iota, 2020's first Category 5 hurricane, maintains 160 mph winds before landfall tonight
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter