LARGO, Fla. — Pinellas County Schools has announced that when students return for the 2020-2021 school year, fall sports will, too.
The district said the first official practice day for autumn athletics will be Aug. 24, the earliest date allowed by the Florida High School Athletic Association.
Volleyball, cross country, swimming and golf will be the first sports to return to competition on Sept. 8, and varsity football games will follow on Sept. 11.
"The FHSAA’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee has provided school districts with safety guidelines and protocols for COVID-19 to help keep players and coaching staffs safe during practice and competition. The health and safety of students and staff are a top priority," a district spokesperson wrote in an email.
The school district is still finalizing procedures for fall sports. Those include determining how many fans will be allowed to watch in the stadiums and gyms.
- Atlantic looks busier with 2 tropical systems worth watching
- 'I can't breathe': Man dies in custody after hours of begging for help
- Man with 'disturbing obsession' into WWE fighter breaks into home after years of stalking
- Read, watch Michelle Obama's full speech from the Democratic National Convention
- Florida reports fewest new COVID-19 cases in two months
- Florida primary voting guide 2020: Polling locations, sample ballots
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter