AUBURNDALE, Fla. — Polk County wants its residents to know if a hurricane threatens and they need to evacuate, there's a place to go.
The 2019 map features 47 shelters across the county, including three designated as "special needs shelters" for people who need extra assistance during emergencies. Three additional shelters are considered pet-friendly but only for birds, cats and dogs.
People are encouraged to check with Polk County Emergency Management by calling 863-298-7027 to pre-register for a special needs shelter or to check into any special requirements for pet-friendly shelters.
Hurricane season officially starts June 1.
The map will be distributed at Publix stores and also can be downloaded below:
What other people are reading right now:
- 154 people arrested in human trafficking, prostitution sting in Polk County
- Video shows healthcare staff punching, beating man with disabilities with belt
- Walmart clerks accused of marking down video games to $1 in $5,000 fraud scheme
- Man steals $700 from daughter's Girl Scout cookie jar to pay for erotic massage
- 3-year-old dies after 'heinous' sexual abuse, police say