BROOKSVILLE, Fla. — A Brooksville woman is charged with child neglect after investigators say her 8-month-old child nearly drowned in a bathtub.
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office claims Rhianna Everett, 24, left the baby alone in a bathtub with the water running for several minutes on Sept. 1.
Deputies say the child was found unresponsive and had to be resuscitated. The baby was taken to an intensive care unit.
A doctor said the child suffered a seizure as a result of the near-drowning.
When questioned, the sheriff's office said Everett originally claimed the baby was only left alone for a matter of seconds but eventually admitted it was several minutes.
According to an arrest affidavit, Everett tested positive for marijuana and cocaine.
What other people are reading right now:
- Deputies: Woman let 2 dogs kill duckling while mother duck tried to stop the attack
- Man accused of recording people inside unisex bathroom
- 8-year-old boy fights off mountain lion attack with a stick
- Clearwater company recalls dog treats
- Before-and-after photos shows the damage left behind by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter