FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Authorities say two men have died and a 15-year-old boy lost several fingers in separate incidents while setting off fireworks in South Florida.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King says a 31-year-old man placed a PVC pipe partially in the ground as he was set off fireworks in an apartment complex parking lot around 10 p.m. Thursday.
King says the man put a 3-inch mortar shell inside, lit it and the device exploded before he moved away. He suffered massive injuries to his neck, shoulder and head. He died at a hospital a short time later.
The Sun Sentinel reports a 32-year-old man was killed just before midnight in nearby Fort Lauderdale when a roman candle exploded in his hand. King says the teen could lose his right hand after lighting a roman candle.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida man pretending to be a cop pulls over real deputy, sheriff's office says
- 2 toddlers critically burned when road rage shooting sets off fireworks in truck
- Woman licking Blue Bell ice cream could face up to 20 years in prison
- Billionaire Chris Cline among 7 killed in helicopter crash off the Bahamas
- What your car's air recirculation button really does
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.