ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Publix reported revenues of $36.1 billion in 2018.
That's a 4.4 percent increase from the $34.6 billion it made in 2017. The new figure puts the supermarket chain on par with Nike, which made $36.4 billion in 2018.
Publix Supermarkets is based in Lakeland. Shoe giant Nike is based out of Beaverton, Ore.
"Delivering premiere customer service remains our top priority," Publix CEO Todd Jones wrote in a shareholders letter last month. "We continue to find ways to focus on serving our customers where they are and where they are going."
Publix was founded in 1930 by George Jenkins when he opened the first store in Winter Haven. Nearly 90 years later, the company is the largest employee-owned grocery chain in the U.S. and employs some 200,000 people.
Publix operates in seven states, with Florida having the most stores (799). The company just saw another stock increase on March 1. It's currently at $42.85 per share.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man shot to death at Florida Waffle House after handing out $20 bills, paying for meals
- Florida man walking out of prison instantly gets arrested again for murder
- Flags ordered at half-staff for Florida soldier killed in Syria bomb attack
- Counselors say girls taped having sex without consent still being violated
- Does your driver’s license have a gold or black star? If not, you may not be able to fly in 2020.
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.