ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Florida Department of Health has started quietly releasing more specific data on COVID-19 coronavirus deaths at nursing homes and long-term care facilities in the state.
The list includes a total number of verified deaths at each facility, including the number of seniors living at the facilities and staff members.
Four of the Top 10 facilities with the most confirmed deaths are here in the Bay area. Just earlier this month the Florida Department of Health was reporting the top three facilities neck-and-neck with each other at 14 reported deaths.
Now, the new numbers are in and Seminole Pavilion Rehabilitation & Nursing Services (at Freedom Square) takes the top spot for reported coronavirus deaths in the sate.
According to the statewide list, the facility has a total of 23 COVID-19 related deaths-- 24 residents and 1 staff member.
Here is how other Bay area facilities stack up:
(3rd) Highlands Lake Center (Polk)- 20 resident deaths
(4th) Braden River Rehabilitation Center LLC (Manatee)- 17 resident deaths and 2 staff death.
(8th) Bristol at Tampa Rehabilitation and Nursing Center LLC- 15 resident deaths
(10th) Riviera Palms Rehabilitation Center (Manatee)- 14 resident deaths
10Investigates has been closely following the pandemic and its impact on long-term care facilities for nearly a month now.
Other related coverage on Florida nursing homes and long term care facilities:
What other people are reading right now:
- Gov. DeSantis says reopening can begin May 4, restaurants can open with restrictions
- Missing 14-year-old hasn't bee seen since Wednesday
- JetBlue wants to suspend flights to Tampa
- Police: Missing 2-year-old girl found dead
- Eight staff members test positive for COVID-19 at Pasco County assisted living facility
- $12 per hour raise? Mitt Romney proposes it for essential workers
- Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter